SIGN UP FOR THE NEWSLETTER

2002 - today

THE MUSEUM YESTERDAY AND TODAY

20th anniversary of the Carlo Zauli Museum
yesterday
TODAY
The Carlo Zauli Museum is a container that since 2002, through its collections and various cultural activities, explores and disseminates contemporary art in all its languages, with a special focus on ceramics, a material of local tradition.
In fact, it is located in Faenza, right in the historic centre, inside the premises that since 1949 were owned by Carlo Zauli, one of the most representative sculptors of the 20th century, whose work and history it promotes.

The Museum and theitinery Carlo Zauli

It is a real journey that began in 2002, the year of Carlo Zauli's death. A journey in which to touch places the artist had not frequented, or to return to cities or environments dear and familiar to him, and which has as its base and starting point his workshop, now very much alive with museum activitiesIt is a real journey that began in 2002, the year of Carlo Zauli's death. A journey in which to touch places the artist had not frequented, or to return to cities or environments dear and familiar to him, and which has as its base and starting point his workshop, now very much alive with museum activities.

It is a journey that the museum continues to plan, taking the poetic message from one place to the next, still intact and very relevant today.

Through the language of his works, sometimes confronted with artists of his era, sometimes with young people who never met him, MCZ relentlessly pursues the main project for which it was created: to keep the memory of a deceased artist alive, to bring him to the attention of young people, to bring him together with artists of the new generations, so that they can draw inspiration and lessons from him.

In recent years there have been small and large events, depending on the occasion, contacts, and financial possibilities, without ever stopping and without forgetting the pivotal figure in all the work of this private museum: from the great Japanese exhibitions, to the conferences of curators who knew him: from the great Japanese exhibitions, to the conferences of curators who knew him, from the naming of a small square in Faenza, to the works given on loan to the headquarters of the sponsoring institutions, everything is done to keep the vitality of a deceased artist alive.of a small square in Faenza, to the works given on loan to the headquarters of the sponsoring institutions, everything is done to keep the vitality of a deceased artist alive.

YESTERDAY

In 1949, Carlo Zauli, together with three fellow students, purchased the workshop of ceramist Mario Morelli, housed in the stables of the Convent of St. Francis and overlooked by the church's imposing bell tower, which was immediately destined for a craft production with distinctly contemporary features. Over the years Zauli, who remained the sole head of the studio, transformed the old workshop into a complex and vast sculpture atelier, constructing around the old heart of the workshop, the kiln room, a series of buildings that today constitute the Carlo Zauli Museum.

During the 1960s, Carlo Zauli's work evolved into an increasingly sculptural dimension, determining the identity of this place as it has been preserved to this day and forms an integral part of the museum itinerary: from the glazing and firing room, where the walls and ceiling blackened by smoke from the wood-burning kiln bear witness to the history of the place, to the clay cellar where the sacks of different soils from all over Europe are still piled up, to the long moulding room for the monumental works with the 'equipped' wall in which the large high reliefs were modelled directly in the vertical.

TODAY

This original project gave rise to Museo Carlo Zauli: a space for both exhibition and cultural production created in 2002, immediately after the artist's death, at the behest of the Zauli family, inside the sculptor's historic workshop-atelier. In paying this great tribute to him, the space was redesigned so that it recounts his work and recreates, with modern tools, the vitality that had characterised its atmosphere since 1949.

The museum houses two permanent collections: one dedicated to Carlo Zauli and one composed of the works of contemporary artists. It carries out activities of conservation, archiving and dissemination of the Faenza sculptor's work through the management of theArchivetravelling exhibitions, publications, events dedicated to him.

In recent years, it has become a point of reference in the production and dissemination of contemporary art, thanks to its many activities in the cultural avant-garde and in experimentation: from the Artist Residencies, to cycles of conferences, contemporary music festivals, as well as educational courses.

There are also intense collaborations with other cultural activities in the city, with a view to developing creativity in the area.

The museum is a private institution, almost unique of its kind in Italy: it has distinguished itself for its innovative relationship between project quality and low budget management, and for its innovative forms of fundraising, which it carries out with its partners.

For more information on cataloguing, contact the Administration Office, or consult the website of: Institute for Artistic and Cultural Heritage of Emilia Romagna.
SIGN UP FOR THE NEWSLETTER